Where Are We In Our Journey?
CVMC received its third designation for Magnet Recognition in January 2010. Since that time, our journey to sustain Magent designation continues with efforts ‘Behind the Scenes’. CVMC continues to focus on the current structures and processes, as well as implement new processes to improve patient, nurse, organizational, and community outcomes.
Nursing at CVMC recognizes the constant need for continued improvement and innovation in all areas to sustain the success that has been achieved and work “at the bedside as well as the boardroom” is focused on this effort.
Coming up in the Spring of 2012, CVMC will participate in the National Database of Nursing Quality Indicators (NDNQI®) nurse satisfaction survey process. The particular survey CVMC utilizes seeks to measure job enjoyment, the work environment, and nurse characteristic items. In addition, the survey inquires about nurse participation in hospital affairs; nursing foundations for quality of care; nurse manager ability, Leadership, and support of nurses; adequacy of staffing and resources; as well as collegial nurse-physician relations.
The results of the NDNQI survey completed in the years prior (last in April 2010) were invaluable as they allowed CVMC to identify areas for enhancement and development of realistic action plans to further improve nurse satisfaction at CVMC.
Some of the ‘Behind the Scenes’ work that is ongoing:
Submitted Interim Monitoring Report to ANCC Magnet Office in January 2011 and again in January 2012.
- Susan Bumgarner and Miriam Jolly are compiling information for the content of CVMC’s Magnet document.
- Work continues with various departments to identify nurse sensitive clinical indicators that will be included in Magnet document.
- Ongoing submission and monitoring of nurse sensitive clinical indicators to national database for comparison with the goal to continue to outperform mean with comparative group.
- Application for Magnet Re-designation due: January 2013?
- Magnet Document submission due: January 2014
– Alex Noble:
“Success is not a place at which one arrives but rather the spirit with which one undertakes and continues the journey.”